POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another Doctor John rant : Re: Yet another Doctor John rant Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:21:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another Doctor John rant
From: Phil Cook
Date: 2 Apr 2008 11:09:09
Message: <op.t8zq1rjec3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Wed, 02 Apr 2008 16:56:25 +0100, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom>
did spake, saying:

> Phil Cook wrote:
>> I'm sure I've mentioned someone getting a demo CD of a new game. Their
>> kid tried to install it on XP (as a LUser) and wondered why after just
>> clicking on the Next buttons, as he normally did, it wouldn't install.
>> Default installation directory - c:\program files\company name\game
>> name. IIRC even after changing that it didn't want to work because it
>> couldn't write to the system registry.
>
> Well, yeah, installing software is often going to need admin privs.
> Given you only do that once per program, I don't have too much trouble
> with that.

Except it was going to be installed by one user for one user, as a LUser
anything they install shouldn't be able to change anything systemwise and
in this case shouldn't *need* to change anything systemwise. Given that
this was also a U-certificate type game demo should it really need an
admin to install and possibly run?

> Of course, given it's a demo, you'd think they'd manage to make it so
> you could play it without "installing" it. On the third hand, given it's
> a demo, how much effort do you think management wants to spend on
> developing and testing it?

To the extent they want to be able to sell the full game, which in this
case they didn't.

>> Puts on User hat - "Because that's the programme that's stopped
>> working, the other ones are fine"
>
> Well, sure. But you know what you're doing.

Only if I change hats.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com