POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another Doctor John rant : Re: Yet another Doctor John rant Server Time
1 Oct 2024 15:22:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another Doctor John rant
From: Phil Cook
Date: 2 Apr 2008 10:37:35
Message: <op.t8zpluuic3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Wed, 02 Apr 2008 15:58:00 +0100, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom>
did spake, saying:

> Phil Cook wrote:
>> Yeah worked well with XP; people are people. If you told someone they
>> should run as a LUser, but some of their programmes might not
>> work/install
>
> The real problem is the vast numbers of specialized crap programs out
> there written by people who don't know what they're doing (i.e., experts
> in what they're doing rather than experts in programming).
>
> Ten years later, it really should be normal for people to be writing
> software that runs as a normal user even if it installs as administrator.

I completely agree and yet...

> I have a program that tracks real estate. It has a per-machine license
> key that it stores in the per-user registry ("because it's a per-user
> license. And it would break too much to fix it"[*]).
> ([*] Don't you love people who argue "It isn't broken. Besides, it's too
> hard to fix."  Sorry I didn't call you back. I didn't get your voice
> mail. And you didn't leave your phone number on the voice mail.)

'It's too hard to fix'
'So you admit it's broken'
'No'

Heh.

> Which means you cannot install it as administrator and then run it as a
> normal user. You have to run it as the same user that installed it. This
> is a multi-thousand-dollar program, too. But it was written by a goob
> who doesn't understand even the basics of writing usable programs, let
> alone advanced stuff like installers.

I'm sure I've mentioned someone getting a demo CD of a new game. Their kid
tried to install it on XP (as a LUser) and wondered why after just
clicking on the Next buttons, as he normally did, it wouldn't install.
Default installation directory - c:\program files\company name\game name.
IIRC even after changing that it didn't want to work because it couldn't
write to the system registry.

>> The latest wonder is that Media Player won't start unless "run as"
>> Administrator, doing a search reveals others with this problem and the
>> curernt solution is to unistall any 'suspect' media players.
>
> So why blame Media Player?

Puts on User hat - "Because that's the programme that's stopped working,
the other ones are fine"

> Why not blame the people who can't even write a codec that works without
> admin privs? :-)

Yeah I am; I'm just wondering which one it is.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com