POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another Doctor John rant : Re: Yet another Doctor John rant Server Time
2 Oct 2024 14:16:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another Doctor John rant
From: Phil Cook
Date: 2 Apr 2008 03:21:16
Message: <op.t8y5ilmec3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Tue, 01 Apr 2008 20:48:53 +0100, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom>
did spake, saying:

> Phil Cook wrote:
>> the security windows amusing as it doesn't answer the questions as to
>> why do people want to turn then off nor why were they implemented.
>
> If you're getting "are you sure" instead of "enter your password",
> you're running as administrator. That's the basic bad behavior people
> have to be trained away from.

Yeah worked well with XP; people are people. If you told someone they
should run as a LUser, but some of their programmes might not work/install
and anytime they wanted to change some stuff they'd have to retype their
admin password OR you could just run as an administrator (which appears to
be the default option again) everything runs/installs fine and you just
need to click on a button to confirm you want to run somthing; then what
will people do?

The latest wonder is that Media Player won't start unless "run as"
Administrator, doing a search reveals others with this problem and the
curernt solution is to unistall any 'suspect' media players. So bye-bye to
the only programme that'll play transport stream files and/or 4-on-demand.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com