POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Image Maps (from povray.newusers) - attached files (1/1) : Re: Image Maps (from povray.newusers) Server Time
7 Aug 2024 23:15:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Image Maps (from povray.newusers)
From: Burki
Date: 18 Nov 2005 09:19:10
Message: <op.s0fwo80byrkrc2@rechner>
Kurtz le pirat wrote > Where am I wrong?

The misunderstanding came from pirate's statement "the difference between
the two images is only the ratio of the source image map". Together with
Slime's posting about the images that shold be "width = 2*height" it has
caused confusion.
If both of you would refer to the width/height ratio of the NINE in your
image it's alright.
Chris B is perfectly right in all his postings. I attached a zip
filecontaining two scenes that should clear that fact. The zip file also
contains the images in full size.
The first is - as you all (except etrask) did it - a cylindrical
projection an a sphere. And it shows that it doesn't matter at all what
the dimensions of the image are. Image "Nine_Band_sm.gif" is a 2048 x 512
pixel image, and "Nine_Band_shrunk_sm.gif" is just made out of the latter
by rescaling. Both will give the Niner the same appearence. I didn't post
the rendered image cause it looks almost the same as the one that I post
with the ...

  ... second example: It's not always necessary to use cylindrical
projection in this cases where a relatively small image - the number nine
- shall be glued to a billiard ball (are they're called "ball" by the
way?). You also can use PLANAR projection in this cases. And with the
planar projection you can fit your niners very nicely by scaling x and y
seperately. Which you can NOT in spherical projection, there you can only
scale the height. The width of your 9 can only be influenced with your 2D
graphic program where you influence the width of our nine compared to the
width of the image !
And again: it does NOT matter what height the image has got.
Really the x/y ration of an image never has an influence on its behavior
in an image_map regardless if it is projected planar, spherical or
cylindrical.

In my second example two niners are rendered with a gradient y to make the
yellow stripe and two pictures of a nine, that differ only in their
x-y-ratio (named Nine_sm.gif and Nine_stretched_sm.gif).
The red rim is made only to be filtered out in the rendering, as the nine
is in a circle not in a square. Nice feature in the image_maps!

I posted this mainly because that ratio thing puzzled me also for quite
some time.

Yours,
Bu.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'billiard_9.zip' (43 KB) Download 'nine_band_sm.gif' (4 KB) Download 'nine_band_shrunk_sm.gif' (3 KB) Download 'nine_sm.gif' (3 KB) Download 'nine_stretched_sm.gif' (3 KB) Download 'billiard_9_planar.png' (40 KB)

Preview of image 'nine_band_sm.gif'
nine_band_sm.gif

Preview of image 'nine_band_shrunk_sm.gif'
nine_band_shrunk_sm.gif

Preview of image 'nine_sm.gif'
nine_sm.gif

Preview of image 'nine_stretched_sm.gif'
nine_stretched_sm.gif

Preview of image 'billiard_9_planar.png'
billiard_9_planar.png