POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : While riding on public transit... : Re: While riding on public transit... Server Time
1 Oct 2024 20:21:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: While riding on public transit...
From: Stephen
Date: 16 Apr 2008 12:53:44
Message: <obbc04pi23sfa9lo9koovum7e0a9vbj425@4ax.com>
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 18:32:13 +0200, andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom>
wrote:

>Stephen wrote:
>> On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 07:57:44 +0200, andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom>
>> wrote:

>> So it is :) but everyone speaks English to me and Babel fish
>> translates it to Zeeuws Flanders. I did find a Dutch dictionary that
>> told me it was Zeeland. I think I need a history lesson :)
>Zee means sea and the name Zeeland is the origin of the later discovered
>new version of it. You know, that island on the other side of the
>worldwith lots of birds and no original mammals other than a bat.
>Zeeuws is sort of the possessive of zee, in the context of Zeeland, like
>e.g. scottish is for Scotland. It should normally have been Zee's but I
>guess they added the 'w' sound to make it more pronounceable (for the
>Dutch that is). Of the history of it I know little, so I can't help you
>there.

Thank you kind sir. :)
FWIW [not directed at you] and since you mention it there is another
possessive for Scotland and that is "Scotch" which is only applied to
inanimate objects such as Scotch Whisky or Scotch broth etc. I wish
someone would tell the English this :)

>> BTW I am working from home and only go to the Netherlands for face to
>> face meetings and to actually work on the system.
>> I'll tell you one thing Sluiskil is not an easy place to reach by
>> public transport.
>>
>Yes I can imagine. Probably more easily reached from Belgium than from
>the Netherlands.
That is what I do. I get the Eurostar to Brussels then to Gent from
there a taxi. 21st Century?
--

Regards
     Stephen