POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Capriccio 16B : Re: Capriccio 16B Server Time
13 Aug 2024 01:20:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Capriccio 16B
From: ABX
Date: 27 May 2003 01:40:09
Message: <o9u5dv0v97tdi1vt4fusvstmk637562dfm@4ax.com>
On Mon, 26 May 2003 21:42:05 -0700, Gena Obukhov <obu### [at] mailcom> wrote:
> Here is the problem. I'm making image map for the dome
> and I'll use spherical mapping. When you use spherical mapping
> you have to make the image which covers the whole object.
> There is no way to use 'once' keyword and cover just a part
> of the object. It doesn't work for the spherical mapping.
> But detailed image for the whole objects is so huge that
> I have out of memory message (384 Mb RAM in my machine).
> That's why I was wondering if there is any way to use just
> a map for 8 sections and duplicate it somehow for the rest
> 24 sections (32 sections total).

You can use image with 'once', scale it down to fit your section unrolled into
<0,0,0>-<1,1,0> area, and then use spherical warp. Then you can duplicate
sections with layered textures. Similiar method was recently described by me in
a thread: http://news.povray.org/povray.newusers/31686/ with working example. I
hope it could work for you.

ABX