POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : no class : Re: no class Server Time
1 Aug 2024 20:09:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: no class
From: Stephen
Date: 6 Sep 2008 05:25:07
Message: <o2j4c4pvatcbh216qfmrebfku695jpcbv3@4ax.com>
On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 14:15:13 -0400, Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote:

>Craftsmanship is quite important to me though.

Firstly, Shay: your image is stunning.

I've had difficulty starting this reply (lie, I've had no difficulty starting
just keeping my thoughts in a straight line). As Thomas points out some art is
appreciated not just for its beauty but for the work that went into making it.
Knowing that an old artisan spent his entire life polishing one piece of jade
into a shape makes that artefact more "worthy" than if it were carved then
polished in a fraction of the time. I don't think so! Is it better to look at a
naturally beautiful woman (or man or sheep) than to look at one who uses
artifice to make herself beautiful? (Note the pejorative use of the word
artifice.)

thinking something is beautiful so it is subjective IMO ipso facto it must be
true 'cause I used a Latin phrase.

I say that Shay's work is beautiful whether he spent months working on it or
not.
But if he had not spent the time designing and developing it. It would not be
the same piece of work. He did what was needed in this case.
Art needs skill, juvenilia needs salesmen.

Shay, are you still on the rigs? And are you having fun during the hurricane
season?
--

Regards
     Stephen