POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : bug in trans_spline (transforms.inc) : Re: bug in trans_spline (transforms.inc) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:30:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: bug in trans_spline (transforms.inc)
Date: 5 Jun 2002 02:13:09
Message: <o1arfuse6fs4qg0uonb1hnitb4uitahqr7@4ax.com>
On Tue, 4 Jun 2002 22:04:12 +0200, "Martial" <mar### [at] cathemlineorg> wrote:

> Sorry if this is a recursif message :)
> Bug in Spline_Trans in transforms.inc ?

No, that's not a bug, that's problem of your script. In one word RTFM but I'll
explain You what is wrong:

> object {Object Spline_Trans(Spline1,clock,y, 0,0)}
> // bug transforms.inc  Line: 183

Nothing strange. In this case You failed on fourth parameter of macro.
Documentation clearly stays it should be positive value. To determine
direction of axis for trensformation it use current value of spline and next
value of spline. The next value is forward about fourth parameter of this
macro. In case of 0 it is the same as current. There is no direction between
current and current point of spline.

> object {Object Spline_Trans(Spline1,clock,y, .2,.5)}
> //bug  transforms.inc  Line: 234

In this case you failed either on second parameter or on definition of spline.
Fourth parameter is specified so fail of previous case is removed. But what in
case of Clock=1 ? It will calculate locations and direction between
Spline1(1+.2) and Spline1(1). Spline1(1.2) is calculation outside of valid
arguments (according to description of splines) so it results the same
location as for Spline1(1). There is no direction between Spline1(1) and
Spline1(1).

Perhaps it could be possible to modify Spline_Trans macro to be ready for such
illegal values but at this moment it is bug in your script. I hope I wrote
understable answer.

ABX