POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Ray teleportation and multiple spaces : Re: Ray teleportation and multiple spaces Server Time
1 Jun 2024 08:31:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ray teleportation and multiple spaces
From: Daniel Dawson
Date: 6 Oct 2005 08:13:29
Message: <nvgf13-8k4.ln1@ddawson.foo>
You pick up and read article <4344f1d3$1@news.povray.org>, written by
Le Forgeron  <jgr### [at] freefr>. It says:
>This is an old idea. Already implemented by someone for povray.
>Instead of a finish, it is a pigment, IIRC. (finish have no color)
>You might search for "portal", i think.

I found this out. (Not knowing which group is best, I made a slight mess
between povray.programming and povray.unofficial.patches. But I've been told
that p.u.p is the appropriate place, so I'll post there from now on.) Someone
mentioned the portal patch. I was able to find a post on p.u.p about it, but
that's it; all the links I could find are broken. If anyone knows what happened
to the patch, you might let me know. Thanks.

As to pigment vs. finish: (specular) reflection is a finish property, right?
Teleportation works somewhat like reflection, which is why I think it's a
finish property.

>most of the time, a two step rendering of the splitted scene with an
>image mapping of the first in the second is enough to simulate your
>idea, at the cost of a finite definition but with the advantage of
>reduced memory usage and less objects.

You're the second person to suggest this, but it's exactly what I *don't* want,
due to the flatness of the image map. The ray emitted from the remote surface
must be at the same angle to normal as the incident ray on the portal, or must
obey Snell's law if portal refraction is allowed.

Anyway, as I said I'll be posting on p.u.p from now on.

--
| Email: Daniel Dawson <ddawson at icehouse.net>      ifMUD: DanDawson |
| Web: http://www.icehouse.net/ddawson/   PGP key: 'about' on web site |