POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Width of character : Re: Width of character Server Time
5 Sep 2024 18:17:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Width of character
From: Mike Williams
Date: 23 Nov 2000 13:27:03
Message: <nvKukHA+aUH6Ewup@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Dawn McKnight who wrote:

>Chris Huff wrote:
>
>> A more flexible(and far simpler) solution would be to use a separate
>> text object for every character and use the min_extent() and
>> max_extent() functions to get the bounding box for each individual
>> character, and use these values to position the characters correctly.
>
>I'm trying to get a text string centered, and I remembered this thread.
>Chris, can I use min_extent() and max_extent() on a string, or is it
>only applicable to single characters?  Where can I find documentation on
>these functions; it doesn't seem to be with the other text primitive
>documentation in the official docs.
>
>For that matter, if the function is not part of POV natively, where can
>I find the function?

Text centring is directly available in MegaPOV. Just add the
"align_center" modifier to the text object.

You only need to use MegaPOV's "min_extent()" and "max_extent()" if
you're doing more complicated positioning tasks.

The *_extent functions are described in section 9.1 (Bounds Patch) of
the MegaPOV 0.6 docs, and align_* are in section 6.6 (Text Object
Enhancements).

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure