POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Help with the basics: Compiling with MingW : Re: Help with the basics: Compiling with MingW Server Time
1 Jun 2024 09:10:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help with the basics: Compiling with MingW
From: ABX
Date: 21 Apr 2005 09:09:28
Message: <nq8f61dp3da8csa7tlsa7f0pf2f9gfqgah@4ax.com>
On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:38:14 EDT, "Boumboum34" <boumboum34[at]yahoo[dot]com>
wrote:
> I'm brand new to MingW (though not to C/C++ programming)--so new I have to
> run MingW in a DOS box (what? A Windows 32 compiler that runs, not in
> Windows, but DOS? Whoa....).

You can even run Windows compiler on Apple using Unix environment :-)

> That's actually a side question. I have been attempting to compile the pov
> v. 3.6 source code with the version 3.4.2 MingW compiler. I, naturally, am
> having problems figuring it all out.
>
> For example, what is an "error 1"?

Would you like to quote complete error output. This "error 1" is out of
context.

> I did find the main makefile.gcc under the windowsmakefiles directory. I got
> that "config.h" error due to my version of MingW being different from the
> one the makefile is meant for.

The makefiles are unrelated to MinGW version. They are in GNU make format.
Error in compiling config.h is not error of make tool.

> I am compiling the console version of povray
> (for now), so I need to modify the one in the sourcewindowsconsole
> directory.
>
> First problem I haven't figured out; what number to put in the
> __GNUC_MINOR__
> line. I don't know how to determine what number to put here. How do I get
> the version number, and what is "GNUC"? It's not gcc or gpp, so it's not
> the c compiler is it?

You have version of GCC mentioned in %MINGW%/doc/MinGW/MinGW_PACKAGES.rtf
document.

> For now I've simply commented that out and it seems to compile ok until I
> get to the POVMSEND.CPP file, where I get a bunch of errors starting at
> line 892 of POVMSEND.CPP where I get the message "error: expected ')'
> before "COMPILOR_MINOR_VER", and other errors cascade from there. I'm going
> to guess it's because I commented out that ___GNUC_MINOR__ section in the
> makefile.

Yes.

> So how do I fix it? I'm not supposed to actually modify POVMSEND.CPP itself,
> right? Not if I'm trying to compile standard POV.
> (...)
> So what's the next step to compiling this?

You have to adjust config.h

ABX