POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tiling Problem : Re: Tiling Problem Server Time
8 Aug 2024 04:10:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tiling Problem
From: Mike Williams
Date: 18 Sep 2005 02:43:47
Message: <nHOa+CApmQLDFwqn@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it nUMBc who wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I am working on a macro to generate tiled floors (or walls) and stumbled on
>a problem I had before. When using superellipsoids I get strange black
>strips on certain tiles (in the example you can see them on the centered
>tiles).
>
>Does anyone have an idea what causes this and how I can get rid off it?

I could be wrong, but it might be related to this bit of the
superellipsoid documentation, even though your values aren't really what
I would call "very small".

    Very small values of e and n might cause problems with the root
    solver (the Sturmian root solver cannot be used).

You could make small changes to the values, <0.18, 0.2> seems to render
cleanly in this case, but the artefacts might possibly come back when
you move the camera.

Alternatively you could use the isosurface f_superellipsoid which uses a
different solver and doesn't seem to exhibit the problem.

In this particular case the isosurface superellipsoids render just as
fast as the CSG ones.

#include "functions.inc"
#declare singleTile =
 isosurface {
  function { - f_superellipsoid(x,y,z,0.2,0.2)}
  contained_by {box {<-1,0.8,-1> <1,1,1>}}
  max_gradient 1
  translate <0, -0.8, 0>
  scale <0.5, 0.5, 0.5>
 }