POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : tiff problems in reading (including crash, including [doc]) : tiff problems in reading (including crash, including [doc]) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:29:30 EDT (-0400)
  tiff problems in reading (including crash, including [doc])
Date: 4 Jan 2002 07:01:03
Message: <n96b3uk1ft7mvb991s3htjt14ekb7j8fn7@4ax.com>
POV 3.5 b 9.icl on PII 233 128 MB with NT 4 Sp 6

I play with tiff reading and I've problems with spherical image_map.

I've used first template of standard distribution named 'Basic scene'.

I've removed plane{} and replaced content of sphere's pigment with

image_map{ tiff "..\\test.tif" map_type 1 interpolate 2 }

I've convert test.pov from /include/ directory to tiff file in location pointed
in "..\\test.tif"

And now problems starts

First bug: "..\\" should IMO cause message with IO restrictions becouse it was
first run after start and pointed to not. But no massage. Render finished
succesfull and I changed content of pigment to

image_map{ png "..\\test.png" map_type 1 interpolate 2 }

and message about IO restrictions appeared.

Second bug and others.

Let's back to first render. I used IrfanView 3.61 (http://www.irfanview.com/) to
convert images to tiff format.

1. No conversion.

Shape of image seems ok but colors are distorted. Parts seems transparent. At
first I though it is bit/color component order problem but distortions are
different after every next render of the same compressed file.

2. LZW compression

Shape is distorted and change after next renders.

3. PackBits compression

The same as No conversion

4. JPEG compression

Parser crashed ! So no image output to comment.

5. ZIP compression

The same as No conversion

It is possible that above problems are connected with output of Irfan View but
POV shouldn't crash) so I checked output of MS Photo Editor 3.0. Output of MS
PhotoEditor is as good as output of iriginal png. So at last I found below
problems:

1. There shouldn't be crash.
2. There could be some warnings or errors when tiff file is wrong
3. Why appearance of the same tiff-file change from render to render ?
4. There should be update of documentation about tiff limitations.
5. There could be some softweare listed in documentation to validate tiff
according to pov limits.
6. Isn't IO restrictions checked for tiff reading ?

All discussed image maps after moment in povray.beta-test.binaries.
And sorry I have no time to test all this behaviours with second compile
version, other mapping types, other interpolation types and other locations.
There could be to many variants and IMO it's moment for source investigation.

ABX