POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Hole in the wall : Re: Hole in the wall Server Time
5 Sep 2024 00:16:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hole in the wall
From: Peter Popov
Date: 11 Mar 2002 02:05:50
Message: <n8lo8u0nlh6h0fc8vnj61h6eh3bgfm1ekt@4ax.com>
On Sun, 10 Mar 2002 14:50:19 -0800, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:

>> Now that I have made my wall, I need to cut a few shapes into it (i.e.: for
>> a door). I have tried the difference statement, but the recursiveness of a
>> while loop is giving me trouble on one hand, errors on the other. Can you
>> help me to simply make a hole in the wall?
>
>Wrap your while loop in a union and difference from that.

Ouch! That's slow :(

Better not generate the boxes which you don't need that cut them out
completely. Inside the #while loop, only generate the box #if it fits
some criteria. For example,

#if ( !((Row>=0) & (Row<=8) & (Column >=6) & (Column <= 10)) )
  box {... whatever...
#end

If your wall has "staggered" stones (as it should), then you should
have a separate check for the left and right end of the door and use a
difference as Ken pointed out (but not the whole union, just the
bricks that you need!)

Hope this helps. I won't spoil more of your fun, learning POV does
include some banging your head against a wall <g>

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg