POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Dice Theme again - about 63 day rendering time : Re: Dice Theme again - about 63 day rendering time Server Time
14 Aug 2024 07:14:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dice Theme again - about 63 day rendering time
From: Peter Popov
Date: 15 Nov 2002 09:35:39
Message: <n51atu0crjj2uhjs4v9a0fnmmkgknbb6go@4ax.com>
On Fri, 15 Nov 2002 14:38:28 +0100, "Rene Schwietzke"
<ren### [at] reneschwietzkede> wrote:

>Cite:  "...the focal blur is achieved by scattering the camera location
>point in a rectangular area, while maintaining the focal point the
>same. The size of this area is determined by the aperature keyword"

I know how it works, but I had the strange suspicion that for certain
numbers of blur_samples (so-called hex numbers,
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/HexNumber.html) the pattern used is a
regular hexagonal pattern instead. Some code in both consts.inc and
render.cpp verify my suspicion. However, this is only true for the
first three hex numbers (1 excluded :) ) and not for all of them,
which is kinda sad, because I would love to see it at work for, say,
169 samples. Even if it just creates hexagonal artifacts instead of
square ones, it will still be better, esp. considering that in real
life most shutters are hexagonal.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg