POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Impending Moray Source Release Server Time
20 Apr 2024 12:40:00 EDT (-0400)
  Impending Moray Source Release (Message 9 to 18 of 18)
From: And
Subject: Re: Impending Moray Source Release
Date: 24 Nov 2022 09:05:00
Message: <web.637f797fb7839016e02c756aa81652d@news.povray.org>

> > Just for now, a very /basic/ wish for the new Moray, one that every
> > Moray user will approve I am sure:
> >

> > * Make the GUI /left-handed/ instead of /right-handed/. *
>
> I approve in the sense that I disapprove of locking the users into exactly the
> opposite basis vectors.
>
> If we would like to make the New Moray something useful and enduring, then I
> would say that if all of the operations proceed from first principles, assuming
> virtually nothing, then all of the operations can be generalized and it will be
> as flexible and trouble-free as we can manage, possibly allowing things we might
> not imagine when building it.
>
> So I say, proceed from a configuration file or control panel, where the x, y,
> and z vectors can be specified like in a matrix {}.  Then you can do whatever
> you want.   Else, I can imagine the very first thing someone somewhere will
> complain about is that they wanted to use Moray for something and - dammit - why
> is it only LEFT handed???!  Can the developers make it so I can use it right
> handed....?
>
> Then we can see what Francois Le Coat does with it.  :D

Reserve left-hand/ right-hand is better indeed.

I cannot figure out what is "where the x, y, and z vectors can be specified like
in a matrix {}"

Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Date: 24 Nov 2022 09:30:00
Message: <web.637f7f27b7839011f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"And" <49341109@ntnu.edu.tw> wrote:

> I cannot figure out what is "where the x, y, and z vectors can be specified like
> in a matrix {}"

When we use POV-Ray, we assume that the basis vectors for the Euclidian space we
are modeling in, are defined as:
x = <1, 0, 0>
y = <0, 1, 0>
z = <0, 0, 1>

TdG points out that a "fix" or workaround for scenes made in Moray, which is
right-handed, is to scale the camera "scale <-1, 0, 0>" in order to "flip" the
whole scene and make it look correct.

But fundamentally, what you are doing is changing the x basis vector (relatively
speaking), which affects every point in the 3D space that you are working in,
and therefore every object built using those coordinates.

Making those basis vectors user-definable at their core would add a maximum
flexibility.
In fact, if one really wanted to go nuts, rather than just having scalar values
in the matrix, one could define some sort of function to warp the entire
coordinate space.   I know that sounds crazy, and most people will ask, "WHY
would you want to do that???!", but watch Grant's excellent videos, and you
might get some ideas.

http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/trans/trans_400e.htm

Also check out Grant Sanderson's (3Blue1Brown) excellent series on linear
algebra.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7RM-ot2NWY

Post a reply to this message

> When we use POV-Ray, we assume that the basis vectors for the Euclidian space we
> are modeling in, are defined as:
> x = <1, 0, 0>
> y = <0, 1, 0>
> z = <0, 0, 1>
>
> TdG points out that a "fix" or workaround for scenes made in Moray, which is
> right-handed, is to scale the camera "scale <-1, 0, 0>" in order to "flip" the
> whole scene and make it look correct.
>
> But fundamentally, what you are doing is changing the x basis vector (relatively
> speaking), which affects every point in the 3D space that you are working in,
> and therefore every object built using those coordinates.
>
> Making those basis vectors user-definable at their core would add a maximum
> flexibility.
> In fact, if one really wanted to go nuts, rather than just having scalar values
> in the matrix, one could define some sort of function to warp the entire
> coordinate space.   I know that sounds crazy, and most people will ask, "WHY
> would you want to do that???!", but watch Grant's excellent videos, and you
> might get some ideas.
>

> http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/trans/trans_400e.htm
>
> Also check out Grant Sanderson's (3Blue1Brown) excellent series on linear
> algebra.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7RM-ot2NWY

Oh, I know what thing do you said now, thank you.
What you said is about the transform associate with camera before cast to
screen...

I have basic capability with vector and matrix. But fail to understand
eigenvalue/ eigenvector / diagonal matrix

I ever derive/coding method of axis rotate by myself.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'vector3.png' (65 KB)

Preview of image 'vector3.png'