POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : csg Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:11:41 EDT (-0400)
  csg (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Robert Günther
Subject: csg
Date: 15 Jun 2000 12:27:14
Message: <39490427.7AE8C98@exmail.de>
Hi there,
i have a problem with csg-objects. I have created an object with spatch,
imported it as mdl and wanted to combine it with another object in order
to make a hole into the spatch-object. Tried it with csg in moray, but
it doesn't work. Povray told me, no csg with patches allowed. Is there
any possibility to manage it?

Hope, someone can help me....

best wishes,

Bob

Post a reply to this message

: Povray told me, no csg with patches allowed.

  That's right.
  It's because povray can't determine whether a point is inside a patch or
not.

  Megapov can do it for triangle meshes. I wonder if it works for patches.

> : Povray told me, no csg with patches allowed.
>
>   That's right.
>   It's because povray can't determine whether a point is inside a patch or
> not.
>
>   Megapov can do it for triangle meshes. I wonder if it works for patches.

Thanks for the hint.
I'm not familiar with megapov (what is it?). Sorry for my ignorance. Trying to
download it.

bob

Post a reply to this message

| > : Povray told me, no csg with patches allowed.
| >
| >   That's right.
| >   It's because povray can't determine whether a point is inside a patch or
| > not.
| >
| >   Megapov can do it for triangle meshes. I wonder if it works for patches.
| >

| Thanks for the hint.
| I'm not familiar with megapov (what is it?). Sorry for my ignorance. Trying
| download it.

It will always warn but it can still do a 'difference' although it turns out
like a 'clipped_by' instead, i.e. no surface at the intersection.  This is
true in MegaPov 0.5a as well, the URL leading to MegaPov is:
http://www.nathan.kopp.com/patched.htm

Bob

Post a reply to this message