POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Compact Disc Texture Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:30:09 EDT (-0400)
  Compact Disc Texture (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Quentin Baker
Subject: Compact Disc Texture
Date: 19 Apr 1998 01:35:26
Message: <6hc2f2$e3r$1@oz.aussie.org>
I've never been a supreme wizard at doing textures, but Moray has helped me
immensely.  What I'm trying to create is a texture to map onto a Compact
Disk object (essentially a disc with a hole in the center).  The coloring is
simple, but I'm trying to get the rainbow reflection to occur off of the
light sources.  The iridescence option doesn't seem to help out, although it
looks like the right direction.

Has anyone already rendered a CD, or a prism with a refracting rainbow?  If
so, any tips?  Thanks

Quentin Baker

PS, extreme thanks to Lutz Kretzschmar and the Moray crew for a top-notch
program!

Post a reply to this message

> I've never been a supreme wizard at doing textures, but Moray has helped me
> immensely.  What I'm trying to create is a texture to map onto a Compact
> Disk object (essentially a disc with a hole in the center).  The coloring is
> simple, but I'm trying to get the rainbow reflection to occur off of the
> light sources.  The iridescence option doesn't seem to help out, although it
> looks like the right direction.
>
> Has anyone already rendered a CD, or a prism with a refracting rainbow?  If
> so, any tips?  Thanks
>
> Quentin Baker
>
> PS, extreme thanks to Lutz Kretzschmar and the Moray crew for a top-notch
> program!

I was trying to do the same thing for my first moray/povray work. In the
end, someone, actually many people said that it is not really possible.
I ended up just making texture for the colors and stuff.
www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Sands/5511/raytraced.html
I think it looks okay, but not exactly like a real one.

Ross

Post a reply to this message

You definatly need some iridesence in there to get the swirly funky
colours - it also is greatly dependant on lighting.