POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Heightfields and placing objects Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:26:02 EDT (-0400)
  Heightfields and placing objects (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Johannes Hubert
Subject: Heightfields and placing objects
Date: 5 Apr 1998 06:23:23
Message: <6g7lmj$8eh$1@oz.aussie.org>
Hi!

Has anybody found a good procedure how to *easily* and *quickly* place other
objects "on" heightfields in Moray? Like placing houses, trees, rocks etc.
on a heightfield-landscape...
The way I do it now involves quite a lot of "educated guessing", playing
with the water-level to hide heightfield details and in general a lot of
trial and error.

If not, wouldn't that be a nice feature for some future version:

"Snap to heightfield-position":
You would specifiy a coordinate (with X and Y between 0.0 and 1.0 for the
extensions of the heightfield) and Moray would calculate the absolute
coordinates (as translation values) of the point in the heigtfield. With
"absolute" I mean, that the current scaling, rotation and translation of the
heightfield would have been taken into account already, so that you could
use the resulting values (via cut and paste? or with a special command?) to
translate any object so that it will end up at exactly this spot in the
model that corresponds to this position in the heightfield.
Hmm, I probably don't make myself very clear, but you can catch my drift.
Something like this anyway...

Johannes.

Post a reply to this message