POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Gilles Tran's Tree plugin Server Time
17 Jun 2024 00:53:32 EDT (-0400)
  Gilles Tran's Tree plugin (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Gilles Tran's Tree plugin
Date: 14 Jun 2003 09:26:37
Message: <3eeb228d$1@news.povray.org>
Unfortunately I don't remember who made the tree plugin based on Gilles
Tran's macro for POV.

There are some 'bugs' or perhaps inconsistencies in the plugin, concerning
the writing to files and the use of files. Writing to files works allright,
as long as you only use the plugin once in a scene. If you want to plant
several trees (hence use the plugin several times), this works as long as
you don't want to write the tree data to files. It appears that you can only
define one file name, that is copied automatically to each of the other
plugin copies. Changing those, changes all the other names again.

Another thing is that there is no possibility to use those files, once
created, into the scene. In fact the 'showtree' possibility that Gilles Tran
provides, is not implemented in the plugin. Would that be possible in an
update? As it is now, each time you render the scene, all the trees are
calculated all over again, while this might not be necessary.

Cheers,

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

I wrote the Tree PlugIn for Moray, I know there are a few things wrong with
it but I'm on a Round the World Trip until Oct 14th so do not have access
to my source code or a compiler :-(

I will take on board what you have said and when I get back and have a job
I'll sort it out :-)

I hope that helps,

Cheers,

Keith