POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Another Question Server Time
26 Jun 2024 05:32:05 EDT (-0400)
  Another Question (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Sun Tzu
Subject: Another Question
Date: 19 Dec 2002 08:30:39
Message: <3e01c9ff$1@news.povray.org>
I wanted to make a pipe bend that goes through 90degrees.  At first I looked
for a 'sweep along path' contruct, but it doesn't appear that there is one,
but since this will follow a circular path I figured that the rotational
sweep would work.  However it seem that it only does 360 dgree rotations
with no option for a partial circle.  Anyway to make a long story short, I
ended up using a CSG of a Torus with two Cubes subtracted from it.  So my
question would be, is there an easier way?

Post a reply to this message

IMHO an intersection between your torus and a single box should be lighter
and faster.
Marc

3e01c9ff$1@news.povray.org...
> I wanted to make a pipe bend that goes through 90degrees.  At first I
looked
> for a 'sweep along path' contruct, but it doesn't appear that there is
one,
> but since this will follow a circular path I figured that the rotational
> sweep would work.  However it seem that it only does 360 dgree rotations
> with no option for a partial circle.  Anyway to make a long story short, I
> ended up using a CSG of a Torus with two Cubes subtracted from it.  So my
> question would be, is there an easier way?

Post a reply to this message

D'oh!  Of course I should have seen this.  It is so obvious now that you
mention it.  LOL.  I feel rather foolish, but that is nothing new.  ;-)

Thank you very much for the reply.

"Marc Jacquier" <jac### [at] wanadoofr> wrote in message
> Mmmmmmmmm
> IMHO an intersection between your torus and a single box should be lighter
> and faster.
> Marc
>

> 3e01c9ff$1@news.povray.org...
> > I wanted to make a pipe bend that goes through 90degrees.  At first I
> looked
> > for a 'sweep along path' contruct, but it doesn't appear that there is
> one,
> > but since this will follow a circular path I figured that the rotational
> > sweep would work.  However it seem that it only does 360 dgree rotations
> > with no option for a partial circle.  Anyway to make a long story short,
> > ended up using a CSG of a Torus with two Cubes subtracted from it.  So
my
> > question would be, is there an easier way?

Post a reply to this message

> D'oh!  Of course I should have seen this.  It is so obvious now that you
> mention it.  LOL.  I feel rather foolish, but that is nothing new.  ;-)
Lol, don't worry, I made worse. :-)
Anyway try when possible to replace differences by intersections, it's
faster for POV: bounding boxes are smaller I think.

> Thank you very much for the reply.
Nothing :-)
Marc

Post a reply to this message

Marc Jacquier <jac### [at] wanadoofr> wrote:
> Anyway try when possible to replace differences by intersections, it's
> faster for POV: bounding boxes are smaller I think.

  Internally both intersections and differences are converted to the
same CSG entity. It's not about which keyword you use, but how large
your objects are (and how many are there).