POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : A few suggestions and a bug. Server Time
29 Jun 2024 00:09:13 EDT (-0400)
  A few suggestions and a bug. (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Thomas Lake
Subject: A few suggestions and a bug.
Date: 11 May 2002 21:17:29
Message: <3cddc2a9$1@news.povray.org>
First the bug. I don't know why I never noticed this one before so it might
just be something wrong with my current install? Take a look in
moray.binaries under the same subject. Open the file attached. You will see
a CSG intersection, named 2, of a sphere and a difference, named 1, of 2
cubes. Evaluate CSG #2, the Intersection. Now unevaluate it. As you see when
you unevaluate it the CSG difference of the cubes remains evaluated. This
bug only occurs when you have a CSG with other CSGs in it. It seems to
effect all nested CSGs that is it only unevaluates the top level CSG.

----

Now some feature suggestions I have, I do not expect any of these to be
implemented in the next version of Moray but perhaps they are something to
keep in mind if others like these ideas too.

1. When you open/save a file a picture of what the camera is viewing is
saved with the file, when you go to open the file you have a small window
next to the directory tree which displays the camera view for that file.
This is like Rhino.

2. Currently there are 3 types of lights spot, point and area. However the
way I see it area should not be a light source of its own rather a checkbox
option under point and spot to make each of those respective types into area
lights. This would not only make it possible to make spot area lights it
also more closely follow area lights implementation in the Pov SDL.

3. Stupid quibble but perhaps the trans/rotate spline objects might be
renamed to polygon/lathe to match their names in pov?

4. The ability to alphabetically sort the objects in the select tab.

5. In the materials editor removing the constraints on certain fields that
prevent you from entering values greater than 1 RGB and ambient and some
other fields come to mind.

6. This one is more complex but I think it would be a great feature. Have a
part of the program where you could define variables, they could have types,
such as string and int etc. to prevent conflicts. Anywhere else in moray
where you need to enter a value, say transformations, material settings,
light settings etc.. you could pop up a list of the variables that you
created that are of a type that can be entered into that field and you could
select from them. Then you could edit the variables and make large scale
changes to the scene.

Home Page: http://www.geocities.com/~thomaslake/

Post a reply to this message