POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Layers and Exporting Server Time
29 Jun 2024 00:03:30 EDT (-0400)
  Layers and Exporting (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Thomas Lake
Subject: Layers and Exporting
Date: 7 May 2002 05:10:52
Message: <3cd79a1c@news.povray.org>
I mentioned in my previous post that I had gone to using layers instead of
visibility settings to hide objects. Well along the same lines it would be
very helpful if you could not only hide all objects on a layer, which speeds
up display in moray, but also set whether all objects in that layer are
exported or not, which would speed up Pov-Ray. This makes sense because you
are usually placing objects that have some kind of logical connection with
each other on the same layer and so it would make sense to want to not
export that particular group of objects. For example I put very complex
objects like messy USO's on their own layer. This makes it very easy to
switch them off to speed up display in Moray, it would be similarly helpful
if I could switch them off in Pov-Ray, that is not export them, as these
same objects have a high rendering/time penalty.

Home Page: http://www.geocities.com/~thomaslake/

Post a reply to this message

One thing about layers: Currently you can have an object assigned to
more than one layer (when you merge MDLs you can end up with a lot of
objects assigned to a lot of layers). How would you manage the
exporting of objects to POV in that case?

Stefan