POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : converting bicubic to sphere... Server Time
8 Jul 2024 07:42:35 EDT (-0400)
  converting bicubic to sphere... (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Robert Günther
Subject: converting bicubic to sphere...
Date: 5 May 2001 12:38:42
Message: <3AF42CD4.D0D2FCD6@exmail.de>
Hi ,
maybe someone remembers my try to model the Nautilus from the Disney
movie 20000 leagues under the sea last year...
I found some time to come back to this work and try to furnish the ship
with some nuts and bolts. So far, hamapach works fine for me to attach
the bolts as circles to the skin of the ship i modelled  originally in
spatch.
This leads to a lot of circles. Converting the bolts to spatch works
fine. Converting the file to moray with Lutz' plugin leads to the error
message:
Too many patches in Layer 1 (8080), please reduce the complexity of the
layer by splitting it.

Due to the fact, that i have just 8 layers in spatch and that i'm just
at the very beginning with my bolts, i can't figure out how to modell
all the bolts i need. Sure, exporting from spatch (as well as from
hamapatch directly to pov) results in a very lenghtly code of many many
bicubic patches (due to the nature of hamapatch and spatch). I tried to
model all the bolts directly in moray, but it is mutch easier for me to
do this in hamapatch.
Is there any possibility to work arround the export problem...?
I'm really in a mess.....

help is very appreciated,

Robert

Post a reply to this message

>maybe someone remembers my try to model the Nautilus from the Disney
>movie 20000 leagues under the sea last year...
>I found some time to come back to this work and try to furnish the ship
>with some nuts and bolts. So far, hamapach works fine for me to attach
>the bolts as circles to the skin of the ship i modelled  originally in
>spatch.
>This leads to a lot of circles. Converting the bolts to spatch works
>fine. Converting the file to moray with Lutz' plugin leads to the error
>message:
>Too many patches in Layer 1 (8080), please reduce the complexity of the
>layer by splitting it.
>
>Due to the fact, that i have just 8 layers in spatch and that i'm just
>at the very beginning with my bolts, i can't figure out how to modell
>all the bolts i need. Sure, exporting from spatch (as well as from
>hamapatch directly to pov) results in a very lenghtly code of many many
>bicubic patches (due to the nature of hamapatch and spatch). I tried to
>model all the bolts directly in moray, but it is mutch easier for me to
>do this in hamapatch.
>Is there any possibility to work arround the export problem...?
>I'm really in a mess.....
>
>help is very appreciated,
>
>Robert

Hi, Robert,

Just a suggestion (or two):
1. You could make a master-file (probably in Hamapatch which has many more
layers besides better previewing) , then make two (or more) copies - one
with the basic structure, another with, say, the bolts (all else deleted).
Break up the bolts into separate layers (bolts-deck, bolts-prow etc) and
export it to Moray via sPatch.
2. If, as is probably is the case, most of the bolts are the same shape,
varying only in size, you could just export one, make copies/references and
move (scaling wherever necessary) to new positions. This would have the
added advantage (in case of references) of using much less memory AFAIK.
Pardon me if this method doesn't work (though there's no reason it
shouldn't): it's based more on knowledge of other programs than of Moray -
which is the reason for this laaaaate suggestion (I was waiting for someone
more knowledgeable to answer). Best wishes

-Anoop