POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Orbit Rotation Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:32:44 EDT (-0400)
  Orbit Rotation (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Robert Günther
Subject: Orbit Rotation
Date: 3 Nov 2000 10:57:58
Message: <3A02E0AA.E7C386A4@exmail.de>

make a sphere at the centre of the orbit (0,0,0). Then move it to
(10,0,0). Now i want to make multiple copies of it rotating arround the
pivot at (5,0,0).  What do i have  to do to set the centre of rotation?
Seems to rotate always around (0,0,0)

Sorry for boring you...

Robert

Post a reply to this message

> make a sphere at the centre of the orbit (0,0,0). Then move it to
> (10,0,0). Now i want to make multiple copies of it rotating arround the
> pivot at (5,0,0).  What do i have  to do to set the centre of rotation?
> Seems to rotate always around (0,0,0)
>
> Sorry for boring you...
>
> Robert

Think, i got it. I have to set the local coordinates of the sphere to the
pivot. then i can trigger the radius by setting the normal coordinates of
the sphere (undoing local coordinates). And then, using the orbit rotate
function in the duplicate object tab.

Right?

Robert

Post a reply to this message

> > make a sphere at the centre of the orbit (0,0,0). Then move it to
> > (10,0,0). Now i want to make multiple copies of it rotating arround the
> > pivot at (5,0,0).  What do i have  to do to set the centre of rotation?
> > Seems to rotate always around (0,0,0)
Yes. The Duplicate Dialog always does this. You need to move the
original to 5,0,0, add it to a group, then also add the copies and
make them orbit. Then translate the group out to 5,0,0. That will
result in a circle of objects from 10,0,0 to 0,0,0 in diameter.

> Think, i got it. I have to set the local coordinates of the sphere to the
> pivot. then i can trigger the radius by setting the normal coordinates of
> the sphere (undoing local coordinates). And then, using the orbit rotate
> function in the duplicate object tab.
Eh? Sorry you lost me there.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

> > > make a sphere at the centre of the orbit (0,0,0). Then move it to
> > > (10,0,0). Now i want to make multiple copies of it rotating arround the
> > > pivot at (5,0,0).  What do i have  to do to set the centre of rotation?
> > > Seems to rotate always around (0,0,0)
> Yes. The Duplicate Dialog always does this. You need to move the
> original to 5,0,0, add it to a group, then also add the copies and
> make them orbit. Then translate the group out to 5,0,0. That will
> result in a circle of objects from 10,0,0 to 0,0,0 in diameter.

Thanks for the hint ;-)

Robert