POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Import DXF into Moray? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:28:43 EDT (-0400)
  Import DXF into Moray? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Cris Williams
Subject: Import DXF into Moray?
Date: 6 Oct 2000 14:19:59
Message: <39DE17F1.415AEEFA@netscape.net>
Hello All,

I posted a message here a few weeks ago looking for a way to create text
with various bevel shapes.  I downloaded the free version of Strata 3D
and found that it can do this reasonably well, but now the problem is -
how do I import the text objects into Moray?  Strata will export DXF
files (among other formats that I don't really recognize).  Is there a
way to convert a DXF file to a UDO or MDL file?

Or maybe it's simple and I'm missing something obvious?  I am new to all
this so please go into as much detail as possible.  Assume I'm an idiot
(or maybe you've already come to that conclusion!)    ;-)

Cris

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 06 Oct 2000 14:20:33 -0400, Cris Williams
>I posted a message here a few weeks ago looking for a way to create text
>with various bevel shapes.  I downloaded the free version of Strata 3D
>and found that it can do this reasonably well, but now the problem is -
>how do I import the text objects into Moray?  Strata will export DXF
>files (among other formats that I don't really recognize).  Is there a
>way to convert a DXF file to a UDO or MDL file?
>
>Or maybe it's simple and I'm missing something obvious?  I am new to all
>this so please go into as much detail as possible.  Assume I'm an idiot
>(or maybe you've already come to that conclusion!)    ;-)
>
>Cris

Post a reply to this message

"Cris Williams" <wor### [at] netscapenet> wrote in message
> Hello All,
>
> I posted a message here a few weeks ago looking for a way to create text
> with various bevel shapes.  I downloaded the free version of Strata 3D
> and found that it can do this reasonably well, but now the problem is -
> how do I import the text objects into Moray?  Strata will export DXF
> files (among other formats that I don't really recognize).  Is there a
> way to convert a DXF file to a UDO or MDL file?
>
> Or maybe it's simple and I'm missing something obvious?  I am new to all
> this so please go into as much detail as possible.  Assume I'm an idiot
> (or maybe you've already come to that conclusion!)    ;-)
>
> Cris

A program called Elefont can save you a lot of trouble. It does what I think
you want it to do and it exports to Moray UDO / Povray INC.
www.armanisoft.ch

NoOne

Post a reply to this message

From: Cris Williams
Date: 9 Oct 2000 20:47:02
Message: <39e26706@news.povray.org>
YES!...Elefont is exactly what I was looking for!  And I have NoOne to thank
for it!  ;-)

Actually, I think that someone else suggested Elefont to me in my earlier
post, but I wasn't able to access the web sight.  Anyway, as soon as I do
some more work on my project I'll let you guys have a look.

Thanks again,

Cris

"NoOne" <---@---> wrote in message news:39df62ce$1@news.povray.org...

> "Cris Williams" <wor### [at] netscapenet> wrote in message
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I posted a message here a few weeks ago looking for a way to create text
> > with various bevel shapes.  I downloaded the free version of Strata 3D
> > and found that it can do this reasonably well, but now the problem is -
> > how do I import the text objects into Moray?  Strata will export DXF
> > files (among other formats that I don't really recognize).  Is there a
> > way to convert a DXF file to a UDO or MDL file?
> >
> > Or maybe it's simple and I'm missing something obvious?  I am new to all
> > this so please go into as much detail as possible.  Assume I'm an idiot
> > (or maybe you've already come to that conclusion!)    ;-)
> >
> > Cris
> >
> A program called Elefont can save you a lot of trouble. It does what I
think
> you want it to do and it exports to Moray UDO / Povray INC.
> www.armanisoft.ch
>

> NoOne

Post a reply to this message

From: Cris Williams
Date: 9 Oct 2000 20:55:25
Message: <39e268fd@news.povray.org>
Thomas - I have a copy of 3DWin V3.5 and tried to use it to convert the DXF
file generated by Strata 3D into a UDO file, but when I rendered it all that
was visible was the bevelled surface around the edges of the text.  The
front and back faces were missing making the letters hollow.  Any thoughts
on what I might have done wrong?

Cris

"Thomas Baier" <NOS### [at] stmcucom> wrote in message
> On Fri, 06 Oct 2000 14:20:33 -0400, Cris Williams
> <wor### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> just have a look at 3DWin (www.stmuc.com/thbaier)
>
> -tb
>
> >Hello All,
> >
> >I posted a message here a few weeks ago looking for a way to create text
> >with various bevel shapes.  I downloaded the free version of Strata 3D
> >and found that it can do this reasonably well, but now the problem is -
> >how do I import the text objects into Moray?  Strata will export DXF
> >files (among other formats that I don't really recognize).  Is there a
> >way to convert a DXF file to a UDO or MDL file?
> >
> >Or maybe it's simple and I'm missing something obvious?  I am new to all
> >this so please go into as much detail as possible.  Assume I'm an idiot
> >(or maybe you've already come to that conclusion!)    ;-)
> >
> >Cris

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas Baier
Date: 10 Oct 2000 00:54:13
Message: <l485us49itplucqpj6g1dkkjkvv2ph18l9@4ax.com>
On Mon, 9 Oct 2000 20:55:09 -0400, "Cris Williams"
<wil### [at] udriudaytonedu> wrote:

Hi,

just try V4 demo.

-tb