POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : CSG operations Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:32:24 EDT (-0400)
  CSG operations (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Mike Weber
Subject: CSG operations
Date: 5 Apr 2000 12:06:33
Message: <38eb6489$1@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to add windows to a UDO object that I imported.
Here's what I do, and I'm wondering if there is an easier way to do it:

1. Create a CSG - call it WindowCut - apply a texture.
2. Add the UDO object (which happens to be a 747)
3. Create a box
4. Add it to the above CSG
5. Set the operation to Difference.  This creates a 'hole' in the UDO
object.
6. Create another CSG - call it 747 - apply a glass texture.
7. Add a copy of the UDO object above.
8. Add a copy of the box in step 3.
9. Set the operation to Intersection.
10. Now create a third CSG - call it 747-Parent.
11. Add the two CSG items.

Now I have a 747 object with a window.  This works, but seems to be a lot of
work and uses a lot of memory.  Is this how others do it?  IS there a better
way?

--
Mike

wk: mik### [at] pyxiscom  www.pyxis.com
hm: mwe### [at] sciticom  www.geocities.com/mikepweber

Post a reply to this message

do you want to see through the window into the plane?  if so, did you
model the inside?  what is the box in step 3?  i haven't used udos
much.  are they solid?  so you have three copies of the udo?  it seems
like you should be able to do it cleaner.  answer the above q's and i'll
see if i can help.

Mike Weber wrote:

> I'm trying to add windows to a UDO object that I imported.
> Here's what I do, and I'm wondering if there is an easier way to do it:
>
> 1. Create a CSG - call it WindowCut - apply a texture.
> 2. Add the UDO object (which happens to be a 747)
> 3. Create a box
> 4. Add it to the above CSG
> 5. Set the operation to Difference.  This creates a 'hole' in the UDO
> object.
> 6. Create another CSG - call it 747 - apply a glass texture.
> 7. Add a copy of the UDO object above.
> 8. Add a copy of the box in step 3.
> 9. Set the operation to Intersection.
> 10. Now create a third CSG - call it 747-Parent.
> 11. Add the two CSG items.
>
> Now I have a 747 object with a window.  This works, but seems to be a lot of
> work and uses a lot of memory.  Is this how others do it?  IS there a better
> way?
>
> --
> Mike
>
> wk: mik### [at] pyxiscom  www.pyxis.com
> hm: mwe### [at] sciticom  www.geocities.com/mikepweber

Post a reply to this message

> do you want to see through the window into the plane?  if so, did you
> model the inside?  what is the box in step 3?  i haven't used udos
> much.  are they solid?  so you have three copies of the udo?  it seems
> like you should be able to do it cleaner.  answer the above q's and i'll
> see if i can help.
I do not need to see the inside of the airplane.
The box is used to cut a hole in the airplane to make a window.
UDOs aren't solid - just a bunch of triangles to make the object.
No, only two UDOs - the original, and one copy.

I agree that it should be done cleaner.

From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 6 Apr 2000 03:50:47
Message: <rbgoeskd6njnmpflvk41uv583a71m36c3r@4ax.com>
Hi Mike Weber, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> Now I have a 747 object with a window.
Urgh. Where did you get the UDO from (who wrote it)? Usually,
different parts of an UDO will be selectable and in a good model the
windows would be seperate entities that you could just texture with
glass.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Weber
Date: 6 Apr 2000 10:34:10
Message: <38eca062@news.povray.org>
Lutz,

I got a DXF file from www.cadalog.com and converted it to the UDO format -
and I agree that it should have selectable parts.  Other DWG/DXF/UDO models
I've worked with have had selectable parts.  In this example I used a UDO -
but I could have easily created an object using a bunch of blobs, or other
solids.

--

"Lutz Kretzschmar" <lut### [at] stmuccom> wrote in message
> Hi Mike Weber, you recently wrote in moray.win:
>
> > Now I have a 747 object with a window.
> Urgh. Where did you get the UDO from (who wrote it)? Usually,
> different parts of an UDO will be selectable and in a good model the
> windows would be seperate entities that you could just texture with
> glass.
>
> - Lutz
>   email : lut### [at] stmuccom
>   Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 6 Apr 2000 15:13:30
Message: <bcopes4vq1q6va3btab26dk9tkiu6cch5o@4ax.com>
Hi Mike Weber, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> I got a DXF file from www.cadalog.com and converted it to the UDO format -
That was my original question: *how* did you convert it?

> Other DWG/DXF/UDO models I've worked with have had selectable
> parts.
Maybe it's just a "badly-designed" DXF file.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Weber
Date: 6 Apr 2000 16:44:23
Message: <38ecf727$1@news.povray.org>
> Hi Mike Weber, you recently wrote in moray.win:
>
> > I got a DXF file from www.cadalog.com and converted it to the UDO
format -
> That was my original question: *how* did you convert it?
Oh - I used a DWG to DXF coverter from.... now I forgot.  Then I converted
it from DXF to UDO using Thomas Bier's utility.

> > Other DWG/DXF/UDO models I've worked with have had selectable
> > parts.
> Maybe it's just a "badly-designed" DXF file.
True, but in some cases I want to perform CSG operations like this
regardless of the object.

> - Lutz
>   email : lut### [at] stmuccom
>   Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Date: 6 Apr 2000 19:43:53
Message: <38ED2162.EE07DFF4@pacbell.net>
Mike Weber wrote:

> True, but in some cases I want to perform CSG operations like this
> regardless of the object.

I hate to burst everyones bubble here but CSG operations do not work with
triangle mesh objects.

From: Mike Weber
Date: 7 Apr 2000 01:31:47
Message: <38ed72c3@news.povray.org>
Is the UDO a triangle mesh? I believe it is AND the CSG operation did work !
:)

From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 7 Apr 2000 04:14:18
Message: <b56rescmual7be420llriifbdiv8lsgml7@4ax.com>
Hi Ken, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> I hate to burst everyones bubble here but CSG operations do not work with
> triangle mesh objects.
Sure they do. It's just not guaranteed to work everytime, but mostly
it does work quite well.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray