POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : snowflakes Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:26:34 EDT (-0400)
  snowflakes (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Warheart
Subject: snowflakes
Date: 9 Jan 2000 01:32:24
Message: <38782b78@news.povray.org>
Hi all, I just recently discovered the joy Moray and POVray within the last
month. Right now I am attempting my first scene, and that is a snowman
complete with pipe, hat, carrot nose and twigs for arms. My question is: Is
there a way I can make my scene have 'snowflakes' or more or less the
illusion of snowflakes (after all it IS a snowman) ? Thanks in advance!

Josh

Post a reply to this message

> Hi all, I just recently discovered the joy Moray and POVray within the last
> month. Right now I am attempting my first scene, and that is a snowman
> complete with pipe, hat, carrot nose and twigs for arms. My question is: Is
> there a way I can make my scene have 'snowflakes' or more or less the
> illusion of snowflakes (after all it IS a snowman) ? Thanks in advance!
>
> Josh

I have had pretty good success creating the illusion of snow by placing
a plane between the camera and the rest of the scene. For the texture of
the plane use a granite pigment with clear areas and white areas in the
color map. The noise function in the granite pattern will help to create
a random snow flake noise pattern for you. A little playing and you should
find something that works.

why not try designing a snow flake - just one - small and simple - 100% sold
and fast to render, and fast for moray to manipulate a lot of them, place it
in a group, then create lots of references under the same group parent,
bingo - real snow

and with the anim plug - a doddle to animate

put some fog in you scene and you dont need that many

Rick

"Warheart" <For### [at] itcom> wrote in message news:38782b78@news.povray.org...
> Hi all, I just recently discovered the joy Moray and POVray within the
last
> month. Right now I am attempting my first scene, and that is a snowman
> complete with pipe, hat, carrot nose and twigs for arms. My question is:
Is
> there a way I can make my scene have 'snowflakes' or more or less the
> illusion of snowflakes (after all it IS a snowman) ? Thanks in advance!
>
> Josh

Post a reply to this message

: why not try designing a snow flake - just one - small and simple - 100% sold
: and fast to render, and fast for moray to manipulate a lot of them, place it
: in a group, then create lots of references under the same group parent,
: bingo - real snow

  I think that it's not a trivial task to place objects in random locations
in moray currently.

> Hi all, I just recently discovered the joy Moray and POVray within the last
> month. Right now I am attempting my first scene, and that is a snowman
> complete with pipe, hat, carrot nose and twigs for arms. My question is: Is
> there a way I can make my scene have 'snowflakes' or more or less the
> illusion of snowflakes (after all it IS a snowman) ? Thanks in advance!
>
> Josh

I once solved the problem by taking a font with a snowflake and making a
text object with it. I guess its the "T" in the "WinDings" font. But of
course this is not ideal if you want loads of snowflakes. It will slow
down, use memory ...

Karl