POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : media tutorial? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:22:21 EDT (-0400)
  media tutorial? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Scott McDonald
Subject: media tutorial?
Date: 30 Jan 1999 15:39:41
Message: <36B36E33.5D4A4B5E@metrolink.com>
is there a tutorial on creating media effects with Moray?  I'm totally
confused on this  subject, reading the POV docs has been not much help.

thanks,
scott

Post a reply to this message

From: Alex Magidow
Subject: Re: media tutorial?
Date: 30 Jan 1999 15:52:54
Message: <36B370EC.298E303@mninter.net>
I only know of a couple about absorbing and scattering media.

However, the basic rule for converting your old halos to emissive media is
this:
Make a media, give it a white emission, the create a density. Make a
colormap under that. Use whatever pattern your halo used. Now, here is teh
thing- with media, it will emit whatever color you tell it to. So, since
you cannot emit black light, black is basically transparent. However,
trying to make other colors transparent is impossible, so you just have to
blend them. Put a black on the outside of your colormap, so the container
object cannot be seen.

--
Brian: "You are all individuals"
Crowd: "We are all individuals"

Post a reply to this message

> is there a tutorial on creating media effects with Moray?  I'm totally
> confused on this  subject, reading the POV docs has been not much help.
>
> thanks,
> scott

Adding to what Alex has already said there is a couple good
online media tutorials located at the link listed below.

http://members.xoom.com/POVRAY3/media1.html
http://members.xoom.com/POVRAY3/media2.html

--
Ken Tyler