POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Extracating importers from Enzmann's plugin? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:12:25 EDT (-0400)
  Extracating importers from Enzmann's plugin? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Alex Magidow
Subject: Extracating importers from Enzmann's plugin?
Date: 9 Jan 1999 10:40:11
Message: <36977766.B4BD6D32@mninter.net>
I would love to use the .obj and .3ds importers, that are included with
the Renderer plugin, but I don't have polyray, and I don't think that I
would use the capabilities of the plugin. Could you, perhaps, take the
importers out, and put them in their own plugin?

PS- On hte website, under downloads, the plugins icon shows a tiny
little picture of Chris Colfax's spray include file. Is this going to be
made into a plugin?

--
Gods don't save people. People save people.

Post a reply to this message

> I would love to use the .obj and .3ds importers, that are included with
> the Renderer plugin, but I don't have polyray, and I don't think that I
> would use the capabilities of the plugin. Could you, perhaps, take the
> importers out, and put them in their own plugin?

Of all the strange requests I have heard this one is perhaps the strangest.
Why would you request to have functionality removed from a plugin ?

--
Ken Tyler

tyl### [at] pacbellnet

Post a reply to this message

>Of all the strange requests I have heard this one is perhaps the strangest.
>Why would you request to have functionality removed from a plugin ?

Especially in view of the fact, that you *don't* need Polyray for the
plugin. That is the whole point of the plugin: It makes Polyray redundant,
since the whole functionality of that renderer is (or will be, as I
understand Alexander's intentions) incorporated into the plugin...

Johannes.

Post a reply to this message

> >Of all the strange requests I have heard this one is perhaps the strangest.
> >Why would you request to have functionality removed from a plugin ?
>
> Especially in view of the fact, that you *don't* need Polyray for the
> plugin. That is the whole point of the plugin: It makes Polyray redundant,
> since the whole functionality of that renderer is (or will be, as I
> understand Alexander's intentions) incorporated into the plugin...

Oops...

Hi Alex Magidow, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> PS- On hte website, under downloads, the plugins icon shows a tiny
> little picture of Chris Colfax's spray include file. Is this going to be
> made into a plugin?
Yes, it is close to release. We're not writing it, though. The author
will be sending us the release version pretty soon.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: Alexander Enzmann
Date: 11 Jan 1999 07:46:59
Message: <01be3d5f$c1f997a0$89d45381@aenzmann.mitre.org>
Alex Magidow <axi### [at] mninternet> wrote in article
<36977766.B4BD6D32@mninter.net>...
> I would love to use the .obj and .3ds importers, that are included with
> the Renderer plugin, but I don't have polyray, and I don't think that I
> would use the capabilities of the plugin. Could you, perhaps, take the
> importers out, and put them in their own plugin?

Go right ahead and use them - they work just fine even if you never use the
renderer (which is also part of the plugin).  Everything you need is in the
ZIP file.  The only penalty you pay is a couple of hundred K of storage and
a couple of extra entries in the "Render" menu.

I was actually quite deliberate about packaging the importers with the
renderer.  There are likely to be more people that will initially want to
import meshes than will want to use a renderer other than POV-Ray.
However, once it's there, they may find there are features in the renderer
they like (like paying attention to texture coordinates in 3ds files).

Xander