POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Extracating importers from Enzmann's plugin? : Re: Extracating importers from Enzmann's plugin? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:20:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Extracating importers from Enzmann's plugin?
From: Alexander Enzmann
Date: 11 Jan 1999 07:46:59
Message: <01be3d5f$c1f997a0$89d45381@aenzmann.mitre.org>
Alex Magidow <axi### [at] mninternet> wrote in article
<36977766.B4BD6D32@mninter.net>...
> I would love to use the .obj and .3ds importers, that are included with
> the Renderer plugin, but I don't have polyray, and I don't think that I
> would use the capabilities of the plugin. Could you, perhaps, take the
> importers out, and put them in their own plugin?

Go right ahead and use them - they work just fine even if you never use the
renderer (which is also part of the plugin).  Everything you need is in the
ZIP file.  The only penalty you pay is a couple of hundred K of storage and
a couple of extra entries in the "Render" menu.

I was actually quite deliberate about packaging the importers with the
renderer.  There are likely to be more people that will initially want to
import meshes than will want to use a renderer other than POV-Ray.
However, once it's there, they may find there are features in the renderer
they like (like paying attention to texture coordinates in 3ds files).

Xander