POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Texturing parts of objects? Potential plugin? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:17:14 EDT (-0400)
  Texturing parts of objects? Potential plugin? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Alex Magidow
Subject: Texturing parts of objects? Potential plugin?
Date: 19 Oct 1998 20:07:50
Message: <362BC6DA.42B0C9D0@mninter.net>
Is it possible to make moray capable of texturing different parts of
objects? Or would that have to be a change in POV-Ray? If not, would
that be a potential plugin?

Post a reply to this message

From: Psychomek
Subject: Re:Potential plugin? Animation???
Date: 19 Oct 1998 23:18:03
Message: <362BF257.231E1E23@geocities.com>
Maybe a Animation plug-in too?
Alex Magidow wrote:

> Is it possible to make moray capable of texturing different parts of
> objects? Or would that have to be a change in POV-Ray? If not, would
> that be a potential plugin?

Post a reply to this message

From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Subject: Re: Texturing parts of objects? Potential plugin?
Date: 20 Oct 1998 04:07:24
Message: <362c37f8.480731@194.174.214.10>
Hi Alex Magidow, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> Is it possible to make moray capable of texturing different parts of
> objects?
If POV-Ray allows it, Moray can do it. If different parts of the
object are made of different objects in a csg, then this is already
possible. If not, then Moray can't do anything that POV-Ray can't.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 20 Oct 1998 04:07:52
Message: <362c383b.547927@194.174.214.10>
Hi Psychomek, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> Maybe a Animation plug-in too?
Definitely possible. We just have to wait and see if someone is up to
the task.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: Johannes Hubert
Date: 20 Oct 1998 12:14:25
Message: <362ca8d1.0@news.povray.org>
Alex Magidow wrote in message <362BC6DA.42B0C9D0@mninter.net>...
>Is it possible to make moray capable of texturing different parts of
>objects? Or would that have to be a change in POV-Ray? If not, would
>that be a potential plugin?

I see (at least) one way how that would be possible, and that could very
much be a potential plugin:

To texture for example one half of the object with one texture, the other
half with a different texture, you could do this: Make an exact copy of the
object at the same position. Cut away the respective half of each object
with a plane (for example clipped_by) so that you end up with two halves
complementing each other into one whole object, but which are actually two
different objects, so that texturing them differently is no problem.
It could be possible to automate the whole process with a plug in in some
way...
Right now, you'll have to do it by hand...

Hope it helps,
Johannes.

Post a reply to this message

From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 21 Oct 1998 19:26:31
Message: <362E5F41.3F014A90@ltu.edu>
Probably an easier way would be to create a gradient (or other pattern)
material_map.  See the POV documentation for more info on material maps.

-Nathan