POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : HELP! Moray3/Povray3.01 Wierdness! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:30:29 EDT (-0400)
  HELP! Moray3/Povray3.01 Wierdness! (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Equiprawn
Subject: HELP! Moray3/Povray3.01 Wierdness!
Date: 25 Aug 1998 14:13:45
Message: <35e2f0c9.0@news.povray.org>
Hi,

As you might know from my other post, I have just finished modeling the
Bomberman character from the SNES game. I decided to do a scene that had all
four Bommermen (Blur, Red, Black, and White) from the multiplayer game, two
in the front and the other two standing on podiums behind them.

I made all the new textures I would need. I then took my origional scene,
deleted the camera lights and floor. I decided the fastest way to get the
four differently coloured characters standing together was to create a scene
that only had one character in it (and nothing else), use the replace option
in the texture editor to change the colours of the various limbs etc. I
would then save an .mdl file for each character, and finally use Merge Scene
to assemble them all together.

It all went exactly as planned, until the time came to render. I decided to
do a quick preview with no anti-aliasing or radiosity.

When it had finished rendering, I noticed that the Blue Bomber was the only
one that had the ring seperating his face from his helmet. He was also the
only one with the black belt, and tho only one who's buckle rendered
correctly. Thr red bomber had green speckles on it's buckle, and the other
two bomber's buckles were pink instead of gold.

Suspecting that Moray might have a problem exporting large scenes, I deleted
every bomber except the red one. Sure enough, the red bomber rendered
perfectly.

On a hunch though, I exported Povray script that had all the bombers in.
Looking through the code, I discovered that all the buckles, belts and
helmet rings *were* exported! I couldn't be a Moray export error! Fearing it
might be that Povray had a limit on the number of objects it render properly
(the meshes are *very* highly detailed), I deleted all references to the
Black bomber, thinking it would get rid of a few thousand smooth_triangles,
and bring the scene below Povray's aparent limit. On rendering the scene,
nothing had changed, except the Black bomber was gone.

This is where I am confused. If the objects are exported from Moray (and
they are), and it isn't a Povray limit, or that Povray can't find the data
(there are no error messages in the Message Window), then why won't the
scene render properly?

I tried a little experiment. I deleted only the blue bomber. When the scene
rendered, the Red bomber now had a helmet ring and belt, and the green
speckles were gone from his buckle. But the other two bombers still didn't
trace properly. This seems a little strange to me.

Here is the general layout of the scene:

                             |---Blue bomber - Head_Union, Torso,
Arms_Union...
                             |---Red bomber - Head_Union1, Torso1,
Arms_Union1...
All Bombermen -|
                             |---Pale bomber - Head_Union2, Torso2,
Arms_Union2...
                             |---Black bomber - Head_Union3, Torso3,
Arms_Union3...

Povray, Moray and Windows 95 are all installed on the same drive on my
machine (P120, 32 megs ram), and it has 142 megs of free space.

Also somthing else that might be important. I modeled all the objects (apart
from the floor, lights, camera position and fog) in Macromedia's Extreme 3D.
I exported my Bomberman character out of E3D as a .dxf file, which I then
imported into 3DWin v3.2 . This import was alsmost 100% successful. The only
objects that didn't import correctly were the helmet ring, the buckle and
the belt. To import these correctly, I had to import them first into
Crossroads 3D v1, save the E3D .dxf file using Crossroads .DXF format, and
import the new files into 3DWin, which could read them perfectly. I saved
all the objects as a .UDO/.INC file pair. In Moray, I imported these objects
seperately, and unioned them into my origional Bomberman character.

If anybody wants the .UDO, .INC and/or .POV files to try out anything for a
solution, I can post them. The files (unzipped) take up:

UDO - 842kb
INC - 8.32mb
Pov - 22.7kb

Note that I don't have any webspace at the moment, so I would have to post
them as an attachment to a news message. Note also that the files are
copywright, and anyone trying to pass them off as their own work will have
my lawyers to deal with :)

Any help, info or solutions would be greatly apriciated,

Thanks,

Equiprawn
equ### [at] tinetie
NOTE: Remove ".spam" from address when replying by e-mail!

Post a reply to this message