POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : CSG thing Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:23:34 EDT (-0400)
  CSG thing (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
Subject: CSG thing
Date: 20 May 1998 16:51:15
Message: <35634242.C029B413@2.sbbs.se>
Hi, I'm a beginner with povray and moray, and have a question.. =)..
Is there a way to avoid the shadows that are when you for example
cut out something with a cylinder or sphere? Povray makes a shadow as if
there was a cylinder or sphere there, when I actually are using a CSG
(difference I think)..
help!!

bye
/Rikard

Post a reply to this message

>Hi, I'm a beginner with povray and moray, and have a question.. =)..
>Is there a way to avoid the shadows that are when you for example
>cut out something with a cylinder or sphere? Povray makes a shadow as if
>there was a cylinder or sphere there, when I actually are using a CSG
>(difference I think)..

I think you misinterpreting something there, you problem must be something
else.
If you have a CSG difference where an object B is cut out of an object A,
then the only thing will be the rest of object A (the part not cut out).
There will *not* be a shadow of the invisible object B.

Maybe if you explain a bit more on what you do and see?

Johannes.

Date: 21 May 1998 06:29:49
Message: <3564021C.7ABD7DEA@2.sbbs.se>
> Maybe if you explain a bit more on what you do and see?

Ok, I'm creating an ashtray out of a cylinder. First I cut out a big hole in
the cylinder for the ash to be in, and then I use small cylinders on the edges
of the tray for the smoker to put his cigarette in. Kind of half-circle
cutouts (hard to explain, I'm not an expert in english language as you may
have noticed).
Well, I illuminate this pic by placing a point light at the camera, and when I
trace it, a shadow of a cylinder falls in the tray, where there should be a
hole..    hmm would you like me to send the file to you?..

Thanx,
/Rikard

Post a reply to this message