POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Newbie question about the light_source function. : Re: Newbie question about the light_source function. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:14:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Newbie question about the light_source function.
From: Matthew Pace
Date: 9 Nov 2003 22:06:30
Message: <matt-pace-2FB775.19062909112003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <cja### [at] netplexaussieorg>,
 Christopher James Huff <cja### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> You have a lot of lights, and they are all using full-brightness colors.
> Colors are composed of 3 float values, one for each of red, green, and
> blue. Although internally their range is practically unlimited, they are
> clipped to the range [0, 1] for output. A value of 1 is full brightness,
> and going higher will not have any effect. If you have 100 green lights
> and 2 red lights, it won't matter how much more brightly lit in green
> the surface is. A point lit with < 2, 100, 0> will appear to be < 1, 1,
> 0> yellow. Basically, you just need to drastically reduce the brightness
> of your lights, and probably should use distance fading as well. And you
> should seriously look at whether all those lights are necessary...it
> looks like you may be trying to make area lights.

I thought that I read somewhere that a light defined as color rgb 2
would be white, but twice as bright as normal.  Is this true?  Did
anyone else read this? Am I insane?  I didnt think this was possible, as
the light could only get so bright, but please put my doubts to rest.

Thanks