POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POV 4 ideology proposal : Re: POV 4 ideology proposal Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:12:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV 4 ideology proposal
From: Roland Mas
Date: 15 Apr 1999 09:24:03
Message: <m3u2uivzq5.fsf@clodomir.rezel.enst.fr>
Spider <spi### [at] bahnhofse> writes:

> > > Now, what we can't do with the current version is this:
> > >
> > > #declare SomeSphere.position=SomeSphere.position+<0,1,0>;
> >
> > #declare SomeSphere = object { SomeSphere translate y }
> > Does exactly it.
> Sure, but you can't do
> #declare SomeSphere.position.y = SomeSphere.position.x;
> #declare SomeSphere.position.x = SomeSphere.position.z;

True, even if I can't see the use of such a thing.

> yes, but if I want a nifty shader done on the object depending on
> its position?  That would turn out pretty nasty(Sure, use a texture,
> but that woudln't suit in all cases. (ie. the whole objects pigment
> depends on it y value(gradient y) )

I'm afraid I don't understand that sentence.

> > Anyway, what's the use of all that?  Want to have another sphere,
> > redeclare it.  Or better, if it's another sphere, use another object.
> It's not another sphere. It's the SAME sphere. That's the point with
> oo.

If it's the same, why did you declare it wrongly in the first place?
Declare it with the correct parameters...
--
Roland Mas

It would be hard to be deader without special training.
  -- Theatre of Cruelty (Terry Pratchett)