POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV 4 ideology proposal : Re: POV 4 ideology proposal Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:17:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV 4 ideology proposal
From: Roland Mas
Date: 13 Apr 1999 18:44:32
Message: <m3hfqkmc06.fsf@clodomir.rezel.enst.fr>
"Margus Ramst" <mar### [at] peakeduee> writes:

> Roland Mas wrote in message ...
[...]
> >  Variable IOR means bent rays, which is kind of a huge piece of work
> >to do.  I agree on the use of these features, though.
> >

> I suppose this _could_ be simulated with volume sampling, like in
> media. But that's my uneducated guess.

Yes, sure.  But it would anyway imply a huge lot of calculations,
because the ray is bent all along its path and not just on a few
points of it.  Which means: a *big* number of samples.  Each of them
needing to calculate a ior local gradient.  Sloooow.

Would be nice, though :-)  For all of us who had to model the path of
a laser in a fiber, by writing a C program...
--
Roland Mas

Autumn leaves are brown...  And the sky is gray...
  -- California Dreaming (The Mamas and the Papas)