POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A portable POV-Ray graphical interface? : Re: A portable POV-Ray graphical interface? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:33:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A portable POV-Ray graphical interface?
From: Roland Mas
Date: 4 Sep 1998 01:35:59
Message: <m33ea84hq0.fsf@rpc66.acr.atr.co.jp>
"Rik Ling" <rli### [at] pipcomcom> writes:

> I've never used Tcl/Tk either, but if portability is what you're looking for
> then this seems like a good platform.  I think Emacs is a Unix only
> solution, whereas Tcl/Tk covers Unix, Windows 95/98/NT, and (I think) BeOS,
> mkLinux and MacOS - probably other even more esoteric operating systems have
> a version as well.  I'll have to check.

  I did not know about that, but I suspected it. As for Emacs, you're
just a bit wrong: from the list of supported architectures one can
find many flavours of Unices (of course) and GNUs, MS-DOS, Windows 95,
Windows 98, Windows NT, OS/2, Mac OS, and probably BeOS. That's pretty
portable, isn't it?

> Have you considered (yikes!) Java?

  I hoped nobody would ask... No, I haven't. The Java courses I got
made me think it is not a language I want to practice before several
years (when it really works). And I already have to learn Python and
Tk (probably a bit of Tcl) within a few weeks, so please do not start
any religion wars.

> I'd be interested in helping, as it looks like I'll be studying the POV code
> in detail anyway (See "POV and 3DNow! instruction set" conversation thread).
> At the very least I could beta test for you...

  Yes! One! Come one, you others, join in!

> Perhaps this thread, (and the 3DNow! thread) should be moved to
> "povray.programming" since that is what we seem to be talking
> about....

  Shure... Followup-To: povray.programming.

Roland.
--
Les francophones m'appellent Roland Mas,
English speakers call me Rowlannd' Mass,