POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : United POV-Ray? : Re: United POV-Ray? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:32:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: United POV-Ray?
From: ABX
Date: 14 Oct 2002 11:39:03
Message: <m1olquo0j444vl5asinclrf9m7div5qn9l@4ax.com>
On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 23:09:42 +0300, Vahur Krouverk <vkr### [at] starmanee>
wrote:
> Seems like there is quite interest in this proposal. To be more concrete:
> 1. Is out there anyone, who can provide (CVS?) server for unofficial
> POV-Ray releases?

If you mean such a server for 4.0 rewrite it will be probably holded by the
team somehow. But you mean 3.5 patches, right ? I'm trying to do PoPOV as good
as I can but I'm limited with family requirements and company tasks. I can't
set up CVS in my own domain (art.pl) becouse art.pl is special domain here in
Poland and has special rules. But I can ask my friend to create some account
on the same server my abx.art.pl is located on. That's what I can do.

> 2. Is there anyone, who agrees to be
> 'buildmaster'/'maintainer'/'whatever-you-call-him/her', who has
> knowledge of version control systems (CVS?), who has development tools
> (compilers and computers to compile POVRay (for at least for Linux and
> Windows??)) and has sufficient time to build releases for POV-Ray
> patches, maintain CVS repository (merge patches with main branch), etc.

Being maintainer on such system is a big responsibility. Such a person should
also has knowledge about povray itself and has some commercial packages as
POV-Team use. But in general being maintainer of such creation seems larger
responsibility than being POV-Team Member.

> 3 (probably most important?). Is there interest among POV-Ray 'hackers'
> to have such 'united' version of POV-Ray patches? '

If not I hope PoPOV will be sufficent and allow quiet but effective work on
4.0.

> 4. Is there enough people ready to try/use/test POV-Ray versions, built
> by such approach (buildmaster can't be only person for such task!)

Count me in.

ABX