POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Linux Kernel 2.4.6 has been released. : Re: Linux Kernel 2.4.6 has been released. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:30:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux Kernel 2.4.6 has been released.
From: Peter Popov
Date: 7 Jul 2001 15:40:29
Message: <lo8dkt8u9rmfek76soq23vbn6m0bnpun9c@4ax.com>
On Fri, 06 Jul 2001 20:22:30 +0200, "Thorsten Froehlich"
<tho### [at] trfde> wrote:

>If it isn't stable and released than it is called alpha or beta, not final.
>GCC 3.0 is final, so it is stable.

I wouldn't bet my life on it. It wasn't able to compile libc 2.2.1.
More precisely, it compiled, installed it and it messed up the nis
configuration, successfully locking me out of the system. Good I had a
console open so I could patch and recompile it. Whew!

>If it is not, then it is from M$ ;-)

Not only. I've seen many many programs being released full of bugs.
Just go to TUCOWS or Download.com or... for a listing ;-)

>Alternatively, it is just incompetence of the authors - their own list for
>testing included the Linux kernel...

There must be a reason why Slackware 8.0 comes with gcc 2.95.3 and
kernel 2.2.19 . Kernel 2.4.x won't compile with gcc 2.97.x . Perhaps
it would with gcc 3.0, but Slack was probably built before the libio
patch was released and I guess they just couldn't compile anything
with gcc 3.0 and left it out. It's in the extras iso, but it's not in
by default.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg