POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Povray's Niche : Re: Povray's Niche Server Time
4 Sep 2024 22:18:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray's Niche
From: ABX
Date: 31 Jul 2002 08:09:02
Message: <lijfku89eemguvb0sr2hmoae7it0s7ji7s@4ax.com>
On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 07:29:40 EDT, "Tony LaVigne" <ton### [at] xenomechanicscom>
wrote:
> Hello,
> I've been wondering what the strengths and weaknesses of Povray are compared
> to the other softwares(lightwave3d, kinetics, etc) for 3-d graphics and
> animations.

I don't know other packages well but consider my notes:

- POV-Ray is not limited to available plugins. If you want something not
available you can simple code this as script. Impoertant calculations can be
realized via precompiled functions used either in parsing or rendering stage.

- POV-Ray has sources available so you can simple play with own algorithms and
code creation of complicated objects directly into software

- POV-Ray works with mathematical representation of objects. I doubt there is
too much applications with isosurfaces. Some software can create tesselated
model of them but it is not accurate enough for some purposes

For example cosider morphing and objects at:

http://news.povray.org/fiq7cughd3561tlt8kb7u14und8q6i0os5%404ax.com
http://news.povray.org/fg04augo9ke8ni98rqi2isemctrbu2v2ac%404ax.com
http://news.povray.org/2ri5auo0d68j483jpesjkllaph1g6uu8j5%404ax.com
http://news.povray.org/n1f6auc72aumeak2cq502ev5btld314pb1%404ax.com

those are not the most beautiful scenes but shows modeling possibilities of
isosurfaces

ABX