POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lamborghini Diablo SV *** finished *** : Re: Lamborghini Diablo SV *** finished *** Server Time
13 Aug 2024 07:21:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lamborghini Diablo SV *** finished ***
From: Glen Berry
Date: 13 Jun 2003 22:05:22
Message: <lavkev405055ld8grq676qfss9193ueo13@4ax.com>
On Tue, 03 Jun 2003 20:27:21 +0300, Vahur Krouverk
<vkr### [at] starmanee> wrote:

>Good modelling, but something seem to lack still from it. I guess that
>this is finishing material of a car, currently it looks more like
>painted plastic instead of metal, it should be more reflective and
>highlights should be smaller. And it would be better, if you put it into
>environment to show reflections and color better, it would make
>impression more realistic. If you look at those Ferrari pictures:

How does the look of painted plastic differ from painted metal? In
both cases, all you are looking at is PAINT! Also, underneath car
paint is a layer of primer, and underneath that is usually a layer of
anti-rust coating of some sort. You really shouldn't be seeing metal
through all those layers.

As for the number of reflections, that will depend greatly on the
environment the car is placed in. In this image, there is not much
around the car that would actually cause a reflection. It doesn't
matter what finish he gives the car, if there is nothing for it to
reflect.

As for the highlights being too small, once again this depends on the
environment the car is placed in. If the light sources are relatively
large and close to the car, you will have large highlights.

My main point is this: I think his car is very well done. The only
thing to possibly quibble about is the scene around the car. I think
it looks pretty good as is, but nearly anything could be tweaked and
enhanced to some degree.

My monitor renders his image very low-key and it's hard to see the
front of the car. Perhaps this isn't the way it's intended to be
viewed and my monitor's gamma doesn't match the original. Or perhaps
this is an intentional artistic choice, and my monitor is indeed
showing me the proper image.

Until I know what I'm supposed to be seeing, I won't criticize the
background or the lighting of the image. Any "faults" might be in my
computer and monitor.

Finally, I just want to say this is a great rendering of a great
automobile!

Later,
Glen Berry