POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Can POV make use of 48 bpp color images as detailed height fields? : Can POV make use of 48 bpp color images as detailed height fields? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:12:12 EDT (-0400)
  Can POV make use of 48 bpp color images as detailed height fields?
From: Glen Berry
Date: 11 Oct 2001 23:03:10
Message: <lFvGO8=N87Ecf8A=H0iK3LSb+WfL@4ax.com>
We all know that 24 bit images can be used for height fields, but I
was wondering if 48 bit images could also be used for height fields,
and if they would give less of the "terracing" or "banding" effects
that 24 bit files sometimes give?

Of course, I also have to find a way to create 48 bpp images in a
format that POV-Ray can actually read, but I'll eventually figure that
one out. For now, I just want to know if there is any advantage to 48
bpp images, when used as height fields?

Just in case anyone is tempted to do so, please don't tell me to read
the POV 3.5 docs, because I can't at the moment.

Later,
Glen