POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Mega Mustang 1024x768 jpeg 333kb b.u. : Re: Mega Mustang 1024x768 jpeg 333kb b.u. Server Time
2 Oct 2024 14:16:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mega Mustang 1024x768 jpeg 333kb b.u.
From: Glen Berry
Date: 25 Apr 2000 02:16:42
Message: <kzQFOZ7sZJ8=ZXq2P9KcGyuAOsfc@4ax.com>
The motion blur looks pretty cool, but the sky looks unrealistic. I
don't understand if you were trying to render a moonlit scene or a
sunlit scene. The yellow in the sky, and on the horizon looks out of
place entirely. Sunlight and moonlight don't look so yellow, unless
the orb in question is near the horizon, and shining obliquely through
the thicker layer of atmosphere.

The land on the horizon is so nearly flat, but not quite, and in such
deep shadow, that the water appears to be "bent" near the horizon. I
first thought this was a scene over an ocean, until I cranked up my
gamma to reveal the land on the horizon. If you want to keep the land
on the horizon, you might want to make the terrain a bit more uneven
to make it more obvious that we are looking at land and not water on
the horizon.

Speaking of gamma, was this done on a PC, MAC, or what? I'm not sure
I'm viewing this at the brightness you intended.

My last suggestion is to use a better JPEG compression setting. Your
file is about 333K in size, but I was able to resave it using LViewPro
and the file size shrank to a measley 57K. Any difference in quality
is unnoticeable, but the download time would certainly have been much
shorter.

Keep working on this, don't let me discourage you. I like the plane,
but experiment with the sky some, and next time *please* compress the
JPEG a bit more.

Later,
Glen Berry