POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Entries which should be removed from competition : Re: Entries which should be removed from competition Server Time
1 Jun 2024 08:00:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Entries which should be removed from competition
From: Jet Jaguar
Date: 2 May 2003 15:05:29
Message: <ksf5bvo008mjp7cc3670iid85a41t3hsfe@4ax.com>
As the creator of this entry, I have to disagree with your assessment
of the ad in question.  It's not large, you can't even read most of
the ad copy.  It's not prominent, it's presence is only incidental to
the overall subject of the image.  I could have put any circa-1930 ad
there and it would not change the scene one bit.  It's not even really
in the center.  It's merely a period detail.  People smoked like
chimneys back then and tobacco ads were everywhere.  It's inclusion is
accurate and appropriate in the given historical context.

Seriously, I don't think a tiny period billboard for a brand of
cigarettes that I'm guessing hasn't been produced in 50 years is going
to encourage anyone to smoke.

On Thu,  1 May 2003 15:29:12 EDT, "Copper Pin"
<Cop### [at] hotmailcom> said:

>chrysler.jpg - Should be removed because of the large cigarette
>advertisement prominently featured in the center of the scene.  Tobacco
>advertising is banned in several European nations and this entry opens up
>the IRTC to potential legal liability.  Also, smoking is the world's
>leading preventable cause of death and the IRTC has no business promoting
>it.

---
Jet Jaguar
Visit my crappy home page at http://home.att.net/~chmilnir/