POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : max_trace_level problem : Re: max_trace_level problem Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:16:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: max_trace_level problem
From: Peter Popov
Date: 12 Nov 2001 01:31:30
Message: <klouut8b969k6cgrpbco6g1sfjbjrr8ei3@4ax.com>
On Sun, 11 Nov 2001 00:05:49 +0100, "Thorsten Froehlich"
<tho### [at] trfde> wrote:

>The solution is to change the POV-Ray source code to limit max_trace_level.
>I know some other people will start a flame war now that it is so necessary
>to have an unlimited max_trace_level, but that doesn't change the fact that
>it has to be limited.  Crashing is obviously not an option and a limit is
>the way to fix it.

How about issuing a stack overflow exception or something along the
same line and catching it? This way the program will exit with a
reasonable error message and possibly warn the user about the problem
(or point to the relevant section of the docs :) )

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg