POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Linux GUI for POV 3.5? : Re: Linux GUI for POV 3.5? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:30:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux GUI for POV 3.5?
From: Peter Popov
Date: 27 Aug 2001 18:36:46
Message: <kdilotkdps1e9h03uepmq8e8pkjkpm5q22@4ax.com>
On Mon, 27 Aug 2001 23:38:08 +0200, Sebastian Holtermann
<Van### [at] gmxde> wrote:

>Will there be a GUI for XWindows in Povray 3.5?
>(Maybe Gtk/Qt/etc.)

Which one? :) How about Athena (!) or Motif? Maybe Xaw3d?

Seriously now, there is no Unix GUI planned that I know of. However,
with a decent editor (Vim, Emacs) things get really easy. There are
both Emacs modes and Vim syntax files for POV and MegaPOV which can be
adjusted for 3.5 by anyone who knows how to do it, then share it with
the rest of the gang.

Me, I'm using Vim with a POV syntax file Ingo sent me and it is a
charm. With proper shortcut configuration it can work quite well.
Emacs is even better in that regard but personally, I don't eat Emacs.

the baseline is, once it's out, the Unix folk among POVers will come
up with something useful. That's the spirit :)

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg