POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Mega-POV Post-Processing Request : Re: Mega-POV Post-Processing Request Server Time
2 Sep 2024 06:13:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mega-POV Post-Processing Request
From: Glen Berry
Date: 23 Apr 2000 20:43:17
Message: <kJYDOYW9P4MifBnNcpv2fBsiFX=n@4ax.com>
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000 03:11:16 +0300, Peter Popov <pet### [at] usanet>
wrote:

>there is a patch by Darren Scott Wilson which does just what you
>suggest. He calls it "The Infinite Light Patch". You can find Darren's
>addy in the MegaPOV docs (he also wrote the dispersion patch). Perhaps
>he can tell you more on the subject.

Unfortunately, Darren's webpage detailing the "Infinite Light Patch"
and his "Dispersion Patch" is no longer online. He has two websites,
and I visited them both. However, the link to the aforementioned web
page does not work.

I had seen the "Infinite Light Patch" in the past, and recall that it
attempted to solve at least some of the same issues, but I don't
remember it in enough detail to comment on it properly. At the time, I
had the impression that his implementation wasn't modeled in a
physically accurate manner, but I could be easily mistaken. I'm also
not sure if he had effectively modeled a film response curve, or if he
was simply working on preventing highlights from "blowing out." I
suppose I'll be emailing him soon to find out more.

If taken to its limit, I think my idea is a bit more ambitious and
versatile.

Later,
Glen Berry