POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : megapov radiosity + crashes : megapov radiosity + crashes Server Time
1 Sep 2024 14:31:09 EDT (-0400)
  megapov radiosity + crashes
From: Tina S
Date: 28 Mar 2001 17:12:09
Message: <k0o4ctolldb4ekjc8d7t4i3ueukl2qp5v4@4ax.com>
[Note: Unfortunately I didn't have net access at home this morning
where the following problem occurred so I have neither code nor saved
error message handy, but I can try to reproduce the problem and post
or send those if wanted... er, well, I'd rather not post the 500 lines
of code, but I can at least post radiosity settings and anything else
deemed pertinent.]

So, I turned on radiosity on an image and it crashed while doing the
first pass. "Hmm, how odd," said I. I switched from MegaPov 0.7 to
MegaPov 0.5 just to see if maybe it was a new version problem, but the
same thing happened.

So, after spending a while playing with various pieces of my code to
see if anything in particular was causing the crash, I started playing
with radiosity settings. I finally managed to get it to at least get
past the crash point and well into the render (which was still going
when I left for work), apparently because I explicitly put in
recursion_limit 1.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem; I haven't seen
another post on it, though. Should I always be using an explicit
recursion_limit? I haven't really done anything with radiosity before
so this is all new to me.