POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : SuperSinusoidal : Re: SuperSinusoidal Server Time
14 Aug 2024 07:14:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SuperSinusoidal
From: Jerry
Date: 21 Nov 2002 14:38:42
Message: <jerry-DC04CA.11384221112002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3DDD228A.57FE4541@no_spam.com>,
 Simon Lemieux <no_### [at] no_spamcom> wrote:

>Hi there,
>  I'm back with awesome super computing power!  Indeed, now I have one
>Macintosh PowerPC 7600 at 120Mhz!  It can render up to 2 images
>(640x480) that contains no reflection nor refraction in a day! Isn't
>this a technological achievement! ;)
>
>  It took numerous hours to render this 1024x768 image which I scaled to
>800x600 for this post.  This scene contains 300x250 spheres (75000) and
>it's just about the maximum my 48Mb RAM can support.  And this is quite
>a trouble for me because this is the start for an IFS (a fractal in

Haunt e-bay or your local chip shop (unless you live in England). The
7600 might be slow by today's standards, but it's a great computer.
Specifically, it has eight memory slots and can be upgraded to 512 MB; 1
GB if you're willing to risk going out of spec (using 128 MB chips
instead of the maximum 64 MB chips that Apple recommends).

Note that while the chips can be added in groups of 1, there are
supposed to be minor speed increases by keeping all RAM chips in groups
of 2--the same kind in A1 and B1, A2 and B2, A3 and B3, and A4 and B4.

We still have a few of these computers on use on our campus.

I started with POV-Ray 3.0 on a Power Mac 7100 at 80 MHz. I remember
being very stoked when I finally saved up enough to get a 300 MHz G3
about five years ago (which I still use). It was the top of the line
then!

Jerry
--
http://www.hoboes.com/jerry/
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish, and you've